Try this muscle-building baked eggs dish that’s packed with delicious flavors for a weekend treat.
“This is a traditional Basque dish made with lots of bell peppers,” says chef Mike McEnearney, author of Real Food By Mike. “It’s fantastic not just with eggs for breakfast, but also as a side for any meat or fish dish. A nice twist is to add a couple of anchovies to the piperade before it goes in the oven, or serve it with a couple of pieces of streaky bacon. If you can’t find sorrel, use baby spinach and add a squeeze of lemon juice when serving, to replicate the sharp flavor of sorrel.”
Ingredients (serves four)
- 1 1/2 cups brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp salted capers, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups red peppers, cut into strips
- 1 1/4 cups green peppers, cut into strips
- 1 1/4 cups yellow peppers, cut into strips
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 1/4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch basil, leaves torn
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Balsamic or red wine vinegar (optional)
- 1 large handful sorrel
- 4 eggs
- To make the piperade, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add the onion, capers and garlic and cook until translucent. Add the peppers and wine and cook slowly for five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook over a low heat for 20-30 minutes to form a thick sauce. Add the herbs, remove the pan from the heat and season with salt and black pepper. If you find the piperade a little sweet, you can add balsamic or red wine vinegar.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Transfer the piperade to a large, heavy-based ovenproof frying pan over medium heat (or divide it between four smaller frying pans for individual portions) and fold through the sorrel.
- Crack in the eggs and bake in the oven until the white is cooked but the yolk is still runny. Serve with toast.
Written by Coach for Coach and legally licensed through the Matcha publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to email@example.com.
Featured image provided by Coach